Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? [Market, Shops and Spas]

195 Posts
7 Threads

Height: 5'8''

There was no laugh from William's side. His face did not move at all. Only his knuckles seemed to become whiter.

325 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: She/Her
Alias: BlackAck

Lottie's hand scrunched the hankerchief she held, as she bristled at the remark. She was annoyed at those around her who laughed, but she was angrier at her son for having said it in the first place. She had taught him better than that.

286 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: Joe's Jotter
Height: 5 feet 10

Joe turned several shades of red and stared at the wood grain of the dock railing.

The judge recovered his composure "Order." Gavel Bang. The laughter subsided.

"Care to explain yourself, Mister Blacke?"

"I lost me job and I had too much drink, sir. I was upset. I have no excuse, I am sorry."

"First offense?" the judge queried

"Yes sir." Joe answered dutifully.

"Well, Mister Blacke, I am inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt on this occasion. Perhaps a heavy fine shall serve to remind you of the evils of drink, and encourage you
not to appear before this bench again. I fine you 10 Shillings and you are to write a letter of apology to Constable Neil."

Gavel bang.

"Next case!"

195 Posts
7 Threads

A ten shilling fine. Damn Joseph and his bloody drunk tongue. At least they were done here and he could get out of this room. He got up, didn't look at his wife, and made his way to the exit as quickly as he could.

286 Posts
8 Threads

It was a lonely walk for Joe back to Osway street, his parents hadn't waited. His pace was slow, he was trying to lengthen the walk to delay the inevitable, his pockets empty. The fine had cleaned him out of the coins on his person and he would have to pay the rest on instalment, when he got a new job. Whenever that would be. He had no wish to be seen or talk to anyone. Perhaps he could run away and join the navy? Or the circus? After a time though he stood on his own step. He sighed heavily.

"Get it over with." he muttered.

The door opened, the house was quiet. Joe thought he saw a flash of Kate peering from a corner, but she too disappeared. He closed the door and came into the main room. His mother and father were both there. Lottie's arms were crossed, her apron white.

325 Posts
3 Threads

"Joseph Maitland Blacke," she began "Explain yourself."

195 Posts
7 Threads

Bill had wanted to leave. He had wanted to take a long walk. There was an uncomfortable tension in his body, and he wanted to walk it out of his system. He certainly did not want to talk. Not to his wife. Not to his son. But Lottie hadn't let him take a walk. Joseph would be home any minute and they would face him together.

He stood in the corner of the room, brooding, his arms crossed, legs a little apart, a direful shadow over his face. Around him was all the energy of a growing storm just before the first release of lightening. It was very close to breaking. When Joseph entered the room, his eyes locked on him and did move away.

286 Posts
8 Threads

Joe swallowed hard.

"Well, everythin' started about a week ago..." he recounted the story, warts and all. He didn't mention dinner with Pearl. When he was finished he looked at first at his mother and then his father.

325 Posts
3 Threads

"It's a bloody disgrace!" Lottie announced emphatically. "Them treatin' you like that! Imagine helping a lady and then ahhw.." she threw her hands up in the air in frustration and hopped up from her seat. Her anger was making her all jittery, she had to clean something or put something away.

195 Posts
7 Threads

The storm wasn't unleashed, but neither did it subside. William continued to stand brooding there while he waited for his wife to finish raging.