Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] A Letter to the Head Office of the North Eastern Railway

95 Posts
4 Threads

A letter arrives at the Head Office of the North Eastern Railway:

Quote:Dear sir,

I write to you to express, on behalf of myself and my family, my utter dismay and alarm regarding an encounter I had with one of your porters at Whitby Central Railway Station on the evening of --- March. On said evening, I had come to the station to pick up my younger sister, who was returning from a trip. We have never had any qualms about her traveling alone on the railway, since we know that the NER usually takes great care of its customers and we believed, wrongly I am afraid, that even the lower staff knows how to respect a delicate young lady.

I was therefore all the more horrified when I found my impressionable young sister preyed upon by a young, ill-bred porter, whose name, I learned, is Mr. Black. Though when confronted, he claimed to be 'helping' my sister, I can see no excuse for his overly-familiar yet unsolicited manners and speech towards my sister, and certainly not for his physically touching my sister. Moreover, when I expressed my dismay, Mr. Black apologised neither to me nor to my sister, but instead added presumption to indecency, by rudely telling me to leave. I have never before been thus offended, and had never expected to find such corruption among NER staff. 

My family has always thought highly of the NER and we have several NER investors in our network who feel the same way, but I regret to say that this experience has raised some serious concerns for us about the way the NER selects and screens its staff, and alarm regarding the safety of the fairer sex. I can only hope that you will take steps to amend the situation by discharging Mr. Black, reviewing your hiring policy, and offering our family the apology that Mr. Black so brazenly refused. Unless such appropriate steps are taken, I am afraid we must continue to feel disappointed in the NER and share our concerns with our friends. 

Yours sincerely,
Robert Carrington