Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Food For Thought [Streets, Yards, and Homes]

312 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He, Him, His
Height: 6'1"

"I see, well sounds like you are an industrious young woman," Eleanor says with a smile and Lane speaks up.

"In regards to your parties, Master Ambrose indicated that so long as Edward is fed regularly he doesn't mind you taking side jobs. He does request that you be onsite when he is though." If he and his family were on the site she would have significantly more work throughout the day. "We can also offer you quarters within the manor if you wish. Even if you do not use them full time it may be nice to have a space of your own in the manor at your disposal if you have to work a long night."

117 Posts
3 Threads

Pronouns: her/she
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=366
Height: 5'5"

"There are things changing in London and it is slowly spreading out from there.  I believe it has been done in the big cities in the United States as well.   Middle-class families are having more events there and hiring the staff only when they need them rather than full time.  Some of the upper-class want a chef but not full-time.  Some friends of mine have started this kind of business.  I am one of the few female chefs and likely even one of the fewer doing this kind of business anywhere."  She explained.  "I think it will grow as time goes on.  But it will take time to gain a reputation that will allow me to do it full time." 

Vela nodded to Mr. Lane.  "Yes, the plan is to work keep a regular schedule in my portfolio and here with you as well.  I will find out when they will be home each month before taking any new jobs with my business.  Those that are scheduled months in ahead, I will be making sure to check in with the Blackwood family's plans before finalizing the job."  She assured him.

"I think I remember him speaking of that.  I like the idea of that since this will be my main focus until my business takes off."  She figures it could be quite a while before that happens.  Though she felt it would eventually.  "I can bring my things over here.  Just let me know when my quarters are available."  She smiled.  "I won't make much trouble, I promise."  She knew having another person in a household made more work for the staff.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Well the masters are American, so they might have some insight," Eleanor suggests once Vela explains her long-term plans to the two other servants. "Well, Master Ambrose might. I think you are quite admirable. Not a woman cook but a woman chef with her own business? I'm sure you'll go far." The old woman smiles at her and Mister Lane nods once Vela confirms that she would not take off without notice.

"Eleanor, I take it you can have her room turned down shortly?" The head maid nods. "I'll put Betsy and Ruth on it, you should have a room ready for you by tomorrow morning." She informs Vela with a smile. "I'm sure you can get Angus to assist you in moving if you need any help." She adds and Lane nods. "Speaking of, we will go see him since if you need anything last minute he would be the one to head into town for you."

So, baring further questions from Vela, he would lead her outside towards a nearby Garden where a big bear of a many with shaggy redhair and a big bushy beard was rooting about for weeds without a care in the world. "Angus, a moment if you please?" Lane would call up and the big man gets up ambling over. "Hello Mister Lane, whit kin ah dae fur ye 'n' who is this bonnie young lass?" He gives her a smile that made it clear that the compliment was just that.

117 Posts
3 Threads

"Thank you,"  Vela responded to the compliment given by the cook.   It had been a big step, and as sure about it she was, there were times when she was worried she had overstepped.  Hearing comments like this from time to time, helped her reassure herself that she was indeed on the right path.

Making sure she had her portfolio and her gloves, she looked to Eleanor.  "I will get things packed up tonight after I make up that menu for this week's list of needs that I won't pick up myself."  Then before following Lane, she gave Eleanor a smile.  "It is so nice to meet you and I look forward to working with you here." 

She gave the huge man a look.  She was small herself, so he looked to be a giant to her.  She smiled after hearing the tone and seeing the expression.  The words were heavily accented which was hard for her to understand.  She waited for Mr. Lane to introduce them but glanced around at the garden thinking such a well cared for garden and house should have a section of fresh herbs for the kitchen somewhere as well.  That was her hope that was.  She would need to start one if there wasn't.  Though she could purchase what she needed if needed, she figured.

Her attention went quickly back to the man that Lane had said was named Angus.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Mister MacLinktock this is Vela Rosewine. Miss Rosewine this is Angus MacLinktock."

Albert introduces the big man and his grin gets even broader.

"Pleasure ta meet ya lass, ye can call me Angus."

The big man extends one massive hand as Lane explains.

"Angus is the groundskeeper and handyman. If you need him to fetch anything for the kitchen you can ask him and he will fetch it for you.

117 Posts
3 Threads

Vela reached out a delicate hand to shake with the man.  His hand was huge compared to hers.  She didn't mind that he had been working in the garden in the shaking process. 

"Hello.  Nice to meet you.  You have a lovely garden job going on here.  I will be the chef for Mr. Blackwood."  She glanced around.  "Do you happen to have a herb patch as well?"

312 Posts
2 Threads

The big man's hand engulfs hers but his grip is gentle despite being quite firm. He gives her a shake and releases smiling the whole time.

"O' coorse follow me 'n' ah wull shaw ya. (Of course, follow me and I will show you.)" He says with a grin leading her around to the main gardens out front of the house to a smaller patch around back for vegetables and herbs. It was just as well-tended and there was quite the variety, nothing exotic but all the staples of British cuisine. "Cop free tae tak' anythin' fae it that yi''ll need. (Feel free to take anything you need.)" He informs her with a grin.

117 Posts
3 Threads

Vela was delighted to look around as they walked, but upon seeing the vegetable and herb garden she was even more so.  Her smile went broad as she looked to Angus.  "This is perfect, Angus!"  She spoke cheerfully.  "With this I won't need to go to the grocery for these items at all."

"And if Eleanor cans the produce for the winter and dries the herbs, this will be quite a treasure then as well."  It got expensive to get vegetables and fresh herbs out of season but properly done canning and drying is almost as good in meal preparation.

312 Posts
2 Threads

"Glad ye lik' it lassie. Teuk it oan masell tae dae it, it ne'er tastes quite right whin ye git it fae a grocer. (Glad you like it lass. Took it on myself to do it, it never tastes quite the same when you get it from a grocer.)" She would later learn that Angus had grown up on a farm, where he'd learned everything he knew about carpentry, gardening, and horses. "As fur getting hings dried 'n' canned, ah wull mention it tae eleanor. Ah think that's a stoatin idea.(As for getting things dried and canned, I will mention it to Eleanor. I think that's a great idea.)" He says with a nod of his head as he leads her back around to where Mister Lane is waiting.

"Alright Miss Rosewine, I believe that means you have only to meet the maids. That would Eleanor's daughter Bets and the new hire, Ruth." He motions and leads her back into the house so they can find the girls.

117 Posts
3 Threads

Vela made a mental note to speak about it to Eleanor.  Having the local produce all year round would make sure it was quality.  She already felt even more excited about this job.  She loved cooking with quality materials.  "Thank you for your time and I look forward to working with you especially knowing how much you take care of these gardens."

She walked beside Angus and rejoined Mr. Lane with a bright smile on her face.  Listening to him about meeting the maids, she nodded.  "Wonderful, Mr. Lane.  Lead on."