Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Remember Me? [Harbor, Beach, and Sea]
Abilene Kildare
Abilene nodded pleasantly and asked a few more questions about the town before wondering aloud if there were any upcoming public events where she might be able to reconnect with more folks. "I've only been able to see people on the streets," she explained, "which is quite alright, I just wonder if it would be nicer to have a time when we were..." She trailed off, blushing. "Does that make any sense? Sorry." Abilene wasn't a very social girl anymore, though she'd been so in her childhood, and she often found her words awkward or confusing.
Posting Freak

926 Posts
22 Threads

Rose smiled lightly when the other woman blushed. She was older than Rose and probably looking for a husband. "Oh, well, you've missed the Winter's Ball. I didn't go, because I couldn't get off work." That twit Benny had. Rose had been seething when she had discovered that. "But there's probably smaller parties hosted, if ye know the right people... And there's Bible study groups, and women's clubs you could attend." Though that would not help her find a bloke. "The Whitby Literary and Philosophical society organizes lectures and classes..."
Abilene Kildare
Abilene nodded, listening, but she didn't think any of these places would help her find someone decent to settle down with. She rocked back and forth on her heels for a moment. "Where did you meet Andrew- Mr. Willaby?" she asked after a beat of consideration. Maybe she'd have to wait to just happen upon someone, although Abilene didn't much trust fate after what happened to her parents and sister.
Posting Freak

926 Posts
22 Threads

Rose chuckled. "Why! I'll bore you," she admitted. "In his shop, buying bread." In fact, it was rather strange. He had just started talking to her, flirting, and offering her samples. But Rose did not complain. What if he was desperate? So was she!
Abilene Kildare
Abilene chuckled softly at Rose's words and nodded absentmindedly at her explanation. "That sounds like Providence to me," she teased after a beat and wiggled her eyebrows- how unladylike -at her childhood friend. "And I am glad for you to have him," she added, truly meaning it despite the new weight on her heart. "Alas, my luck with Providence has been of the unpleasant kind, though I still hold out hope for some good or even halfway-decent fellow to come along and sweep me off my feet." Her tone was joking, but she meant her wish.
Posting Freak

926 Posts
22 Threads

Rose gave her a reassuring smile. "If anyone notices me, they will certainly notice you. You look absolutely lovely." Her voice did not betray the slight jealousy she did in fact feel while she said that.
Abilene Kildare
Abilene blushed and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. "Thank you," she replied quietly and smiled at Rose. "You are so lovely yourself, I'm not surprised Me. Willaby 'noticed' you, as you say." Though Abilene knew she was pretty, she often found men pursued her only for her looks, and it was disheartening, to say the least. She thought she was a good person, or at least tried to be, but no man ever seemed to care about that. It was one of the reasons she'd left London behind.
Posting Freak

926 Posts
22 Threads

"Thank you," Rose said, politely. But she did not feel pretty. She often looked tired and rather pale from long days of heavy house labour. She rose before Mr. Meijer to clear and light the fireplace, clean the cooking range, boil the water, lay the table, clean the porch, and all the other morning chores she hated. And she went to bed after him in case he needed something in the evening. She wished she had lovely soft hands, but instead her hands were rough and there was callus on her palms and fingers. The stress and anxiety did nothing for her skin either. It was a miracle any man had shown interest in her, Rose believed. "Where do you stay?" she changed the subject.
Abilene Kildare
Abilene could tell her compliment had hit Rose in a way she hadn't meant and she blushed, about to apologize or something of the like, but then Rose changed the topic and she forced a smile back onto her face. "I saved up and bought a place, a little cottage, downtown," she said and pointed over the hills to her left. "Over there, near the row of inns but not quite on the same street." Her smile quirked up on one side. "Grandmother said it was folly of me to buy a place all by my lonesome, but I don't think she realized I like my independence." She shrugged. "More or less."
Posting Freak

926 Posts
22 Threads

"Oh..." said Rose, rather confused. It reminded her of Pearl, who had also gotten her own place and liked to be independent. Rose could not understand what possessed either of them - well, she was beginning to understand in Pearl's case, as Pearl talked more of her family. "That's nice," and expensive. And though Rose really tried, she couldn't help feeling a little jealous again. Her family was renting that small cottage, and Rose was slaving away to help pay the rent. "Isn't it lonely?"