Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Who Needs Protecting? [Market, Shops and Spas]
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Elijah had spent a long time trying to think on what to do about the stuff written in the paper. He didn't feel like censoring anyone, but he had a job to protect people. This was why he found himself standing by the office for the Whitby Gazette. He waited for the reporter in question to exit so he wouldn't be faced by him and others who might twist this in the paper to make him look bad. He was torn over the issue enough as it was. 

When the guy came out, he paused. This guy was so young, he had to be just starting out. What was going in the guy's mind to produce such stuff? Did he believe it and thought he was doing the right thing? He couldn't imagine. With a sigh, he stepped over to introduce himself and stretched out his hand. "Hello, I'm Constable Crane. I was hoping we could take a walk and talk a little bit?"

188 Posts
3 Threads

Gareth was the last in the office, and he locked up after himself, before he started moving. But he jumped when he heard the constable's voice. The young man was still expecting an attack or something. But it was the constable, and though Gareth realized that he probably came to complain, he also knew the man was a wimp - as he had made clear in the papers - and he calmed down. "I'd introduce myself, but you clearly know who I am," said Gareth, as he walked again. "Talk away, Mr. Crane."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah walked alongside him, easily keeping pace. He cleared his throat before speaking trying to sound unbothered by the papers. "I wanted to talk about what you've written. I don't believe in silencing the papers but, have you thought how it might affect people? What's written in that thing can shape opinions and give people false ideas. Are you willing to take responsibility for that?"

188 Posts
3 Threads

Gareth scoffed. "Did I hurt your feelings, Mr. Crane?" he asked. "It's my job to report on what's going on in town. People have a right to be informed. With all due respect, I think it's better if you'd worry about doing your own job properly, than worrying about how I do mine."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah frowned more. "I think you don't understand. I do my job the best one man can, and a lot of it is not seen or understood by the common people. I don't think you understand how things work. I investigate and it doesn't always involve questioning folks. Sometimes I have to send things out to bigger departments to get information I need. I don't want to put an innocent person behind bars.It is easy for someone like you as an outsider looking in to judge. But I would rather be easy on someone than start being too harsh."

188 Posts
3 Threads

Gareth stopped in his tracks. "I don't think you understand that the people are saying you're biased, and too soft, and your soft approach has increased crime rates, and people's businesses are suffering for it."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah frowned more and shook his head. "I'm easy on a lot of people, I admit that. It isn't bias at all. What good is locking up people who work for getting into one drunk fight. This is a small town, I don't want families to suffer because of a mistake. There is a lot of small crimes happening here, but I am doing my best. If I start treating them to the letter, it will stop it but it'll stop a lot of things. I mostly try to keep people safe, I think that's more important."

188 Posts
3 Threads

"Punishing the people who don't get into drunk fights..." said Gareth. He began to walk again.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah looked surprised and sighed running a hand through his hair. "Look, just stop putting in your opinions in the paper. Stop making assumptions on what is or isn't done. If I start doing what you're asking, you will just twist it around and say I'm being an unfair constable who is too hard on the people as almost a third of the town's men would end up in jail at some point by the end of the month."

188 Posts
3 Threads

He turned. "How do you know that's what I'd write. Who's making assumptions now?"