Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Throw Caution Off The Pier [Harbor, Beach, and Sea]
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Pronouns: She/her
Height: 5'3"

Persephone could barely keep her jaw from dropping. He actually appreciated her dream? And he encouraged her to pursue it? This was unheard of to the young woman. He was a man. Telling a woman her dream was a good thing. Telling her to pursue it even in a male-dominated (nearly male-exclusive) field. This was a goldmine opportunity for Persephone and she jumped at it- if nothing more, she wanted Dr. Witaker as her friend. "Yes, I really do love architecture." A wry smile came to her face. "Ironically, my sense of direction around the streets is rather poor. I don't suppose you've been around Whitby enough to know the way to 19 Norbridge Street?"

171 Posts
6 Threads

Pronouns: He, him
Height: 5'10"

"I've only been here for a few days," he said by way of reply. "I have not yet memorized this town." He gave a smile and paused, then asked, "And yourself?" He regarded her with a tilted head to let her know that he was a listener. His warm green eyes met hers at some point as he waited for her reply, and he gave an encouraging nod. He who had been a dreamer once upon a time would not have told her she was wrong for having a dream. He knew what it meant to chase the dream, having fulfilled his a long time ago. Of course, there was one other dream he had but he didn't chase it anymore because he was too worried about loving again, but that was beside the point.
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Persephone nodded understandingly. "I have been here nearly a month, but haven't had the heart to explore this town until these past few days. My parents are... well, I am not exactly here of my own accord, though Whitby is a lovely place, do not judge me as disliking it." Her gaze dropped for a moment as her troubles washed over her mind. She'd gone out today specifically to escape her woes, but it seemed even now she was not exempt from them. She half-hoped he wouldn't notice her falling spirits and half-wished he would offer to walk her home (she kind of knew the way) and allow her to talk to someone of her dilemma..

171 Posts
6 Threads

"I see," he said in response. "I didn't think you disliked it... But I can see you seem to be in a quandary. Am I correct in assuming so?" It seemed he did pick up on her fallen spirits. He paused in speaking for a moment, a thought forming in his mind. He thought maybe he would offer to walk with her for a time, if not walk her home. Of course, he had to get home soon in order to set his home up for his work, but he had plenty of time for that too. "You seem like you could use an ear to bend," he said and went on to ask, "Would you care for a stroll for a time?"
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Despite her overall qualms about menfolk, Persephone could feel a friendly connection between her and Dr. Witaker and so gratefully accepted his offer. They strolled side-by-side off the pier, a catcall from a dockhand not breaking Persephone's stride, and as they stepped back onto the firm cobblestone walk along the pier's docks, she started to tell Dr. Witaker of her woes. "I was born and raised in London, see, but I was never one to obey my parents' wishes to be a model daughter- I love them, I do, but I just couldn't bear the stuffy, dreary life they expect me to lead. My dear sister, Harriet was born thirteen years after I was- a sort of miracle baby, in more ways than one -and as she grew, she became the perfect daughter they never found in me. You might assume we were never close, then, but we were, and still are. My parents recently became fed up with me-" Here Persephone paused for breath and to give a weary sigh, inadvertently letting Dr. Witaker know just how much this whole debacle was affecting her. "-and laid an ultimatum: they would send me away to some town- to get me out of their hair, mostly -and decided if I am not married when this year is up, they will cut me off completely. Financially, it does not worry me, as I am willing to take a job in Whitby and provide for myself- hopefully as an architect -but I could not bear being kept away from my darling sister until my parents ascend."

171 Posts
6 Threads

"I see," he repeated while they walked side by side. So Persephone was in a quandary alright, and Donald found himself latching on to this marriage idea with a little more desire than he thought he was supposed to feel. "And are you interested in finding a mate?" he asked, keeping his tone casual so as not to make it seem like he was inquiring for his own interest. Of course, his interest was based on many things... She was smart, beautiful, and she knew what she wanted in life... But then he felt a little disgust in himself. He had to be old enough to be her father, he thought sourly... but a woman his age couldn't give him a baby. He wanted children. "I'd do it." he murmured out loud without meaning to, and then caught his breath when he realized the words were out.
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

A slight smirk crept onto Persephone's lips. Quite a forward one, wasn't he? Normally, she'd take offense, but considering Dr. Witaker's encouragement of her dream, she let it slide this time. "There really is no choice in my mind," she admitted, "it would nearly kill me to lose contact with Harriet. She is truly the light of my life, despite our differences." Persephone smiled fondly as she spoke of her little sister. It was clear just how much she cared about Harriet. "My qualms come from the constrictions of marriage, you see. Marriage is often a financial proposition in the world I know, and it is expected that the women in my family forsake their independence and most of their free will for the benefit of their husbands. Any potential husband I have met would never allow me to continue to pursue my dream, which is also a crushing possibility. I feel trapped, to be perfectly honest." Persephone sighed. "I am nothing of a hopeless romantic, but I always believed when I married- for there was never an if, it is simply unavoidable for me -that it would be to someone I at least liked, if not loved."

171 Posts
6 Threads

"If there is no choice in the matter, then do it on your terms as best as you can," he said this with a slight shrug, not knowing what else to say to her. It was a problem he had never encountered in his own world, he couldn't relate. However, he had a plan forming and it wasn't necessarily one he was proud of. He would not bring it up just yet, perhaps not even if he could help it, but he did need a wife if he wanted children, and she needed a husband even if it wasn't one she loved. For now, he would continue to listen to her woes and her quandary like the good doctor he was.
Persephone Witaker

136 Posts
4 Threads

Persephone could sense the good doctor had his mind affixed on something, but what, she had no idea. It was truly kind of him to walk with her and listen to her woes, and she was starting to think he could be a splendid friend. "Better advice has not been given to me in a long time," she said sincerely, "and I thank you for it and for listening to my miseries." As they turned up a rather steep hill street, Persephone found it harder and harder to keep her balance properly on the uneven cobblestone- curse these heeled boots (again)! -and so grabbed onto Dr. Witaker's arm to steady herself. "Would you mind if I..?" Leaving her question unfinished, assuming he would get that she needed a little assistance without having to openly singe her pride, Persephone took a few more steps forward, still holding his arm.

171 Posts
6 Threads

"You're welcome, Miss Blythe," he replied to her. When it was clear that she was having trouble walking on the cobblestones, he offered his arm even as she asked if he wouldn't mind. "I've got you," he said. "Are you alright?" He was wondering if he detected a limp or if it was simply her boots causing her to have troubles walking. Women did tend to torture themselves for the sake of propriety or beauty, and he would not be surprised if she wore the high heeled boots that were currently in fashion. "I suggest you pay a visit to the cobbler soon to get you a pair of sturdy boots," he said in bemusement.