Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] A Visit From A Clocksmith [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Frederic Mulvahil
Frederic smiled softly when Clover took Miss Calloway's hand and replied quietly and completely earnestly, "Of course, I mean it. Truly." But then he frowned as he processed what she'd said about her brother. "I don't mean to speak out of turn, Miss Calloway... But your brother should be supporting you. That is what family is for." Or, at least, he assumed that's what siblings were meant to do, having nine himself. "If you ever need someone to talk to as well, I am always available." Except when he had orders to fulfill for his shop, but he needn't mention that.

536 Posts
15 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: Average

She seemed to calm down with a large intake of breath as the boy took her hand. What a dear, sweet boy he was, she thought. It was very endearing, and it very much seemed like it would be very easy to form a bond with Clover. And then there was his father, Frederic. She looked up at him then, eyes still wet but no longer crying. "Thank ye. I... would like that. That is very kind of both of ye." She squeezed the little boy's hand and then reached out to touch Fred's arm softly.
Frederic Mulvahil
Frederic felt a jolt in his heart when she laid her hand on his arm and he nearly blushed, but fought down the crimson creeping up his neck with a soft smile. "Whatever I- we -can do to help." He stood there for a moment, letting himself relish the feeling of her soft touch, then stepped back when he sensed the moment was growing too long. It was about time he brought in the clocks, he determined, and so he had Clover come with him to retrieve the wares they'd left in Miss Calloway's front hall when they'd arrived. As he let Clover pick out which clock to show her first, Frederic tried to straighten out his thoughts when it came to Miss Calloway. What even was her first name? He hoped to find out before their meeting this afternoon was over. But of course, she was a rather new widow, at least compared to how long ago Frederic had lost Patsy, and perhaps she wouldn't be willing to share that information. What was he even doing, thinking of her as someone he would like to 'know better'? What sort of man was he, that found attraction in a widowed woman who may not be ready for courtship again? Determining to keep his growing feelings buried in his mind at least until they left Miss Calloway's home, he picked up the clock Clover had picked and headed back into the parlor, his son cheerfully leading the way.

536 Posts
15 Threads

Karen found herself gazing at him overly long, having a similar thought process as him. She felt guilty for the attraction she felt, yet compelled to stay close to the man. She briefly gazed at Clover as he went to pick out a clock to show her, but her eyes were soon drawn again to Frederic's face. What would it be like to be loved again? Would Harold have wanted her to wear the black of her widow's weeds forever? Would he want her lonely? So many thoughts warred with each other as she regarded Fred with a soft look. "How long have ye been clockmaking?" she asked gently, not feigning interest in the subject but using it as an excuse to end the deafening silence that lay between them.
Frederic Mulvahil
Frederic, quite glad to break the heavy quiet, replied with a smile, "Over twenty years, Miss Calloway, I was apprenticed to a clocksmith when I was but twelve and never looked back."
Clover Mulvahil
Clover carefully placed the clock- a cuckoo built inside a little white 'cottage' -on the table beside the sandwiches and, after taking another to snack on in a moment, he started pointing out what he liked about it. "It's very white," was his first observation, "and small. And the cuckoo bird is a song thrush, Pa told me they have those everywhere in Scarborough, but I've never seen one. And the spring is brass. And the winder-upper-thing is brass, too- it's just like the toy I gave you!" Clover grinned at his father, an idea coming to him that might finally have a good outcome, "Pa made that toy, too, just like he makes all these clocks."

536 Posts
15 Threads

She nodded at his reply, "That is a long time." And then her attention was on Clover again as he brought the clock in and explained matter of factly that his father made the toy too. A smile played at her lips and she said, "Is that so? What a pretty clock ye brought, Mister Clover." She said this honestly, clearly admiring the clock. "Yer papa is a talented man," she said as she looked up again at Fred. "Perhaps I should buy one of yer clocks for me parlor." She liked to have what others might think of frippery around her home if her home decor had anything to say about it.
Frederic Mulvahil
A small smile crept onto Frederic's face when Miss Calloway complimented his craftsmanship and through it, himself. He was quite glad to know she liked the cuckoo clock; in truth, the relief he felt surprised him. Had he been worried she wouldn't like his work? Apparently so, he just hadn't fully realized it until now. His mind raced- of course, he wouldn't mind selling her a clock, but if she picked one of the others he'd brought before he showed her the specific one he'd been working on all week, that would rather defeat the purpose of his making it. So he thanked her, knelt beside Clover, and whispered to his son to get 'the special clock'.
Clover Mulvahil
Clover started jumping up and down with excitement and scurried off. The special clock! The creation his father had been staying up every night to work on, even later than when Clover went to bed (and to him, that was late)! He finally understood why they'd brought it to Miss Calloway- it must be a gift! Clover's chest swelled with joy. It wasn't just him who'd thought to bring her a present, and if his Pa had thought to make one for her- well, surely that meant something! He knew his father and Miss Calloway didn't know each other much, but Clover was growing fond of her and he hoped his Pa was too. Very carefully, he lifted the parcel with the special clock in it out from under the others in the front hall and walked back in with stiff, slow steps just to be safe. When he reached the table, he was practically shaking with excitement as he handed Miss Calloway the parcel. "Open it!" he cried, then clapped his hands over his mouth, afraid he'd woken the babies. "Open it!" he said again after a moment, but whispering this time.

536 Posts
15 Threads

She tilted her head as father whispered to son and Clover seemed to get super excited. When the boy took off, Karen looked at Fred with question in her eyes until his son came back and excitedly handed her the parcel and implored her to open it. She took it and carefully opened it. "Oh!" She said as she revealed another clock.