Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Chewing on the Gristle [Harbor, Beach, and Sea]

497 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Benny nodded. "That is a good path. You know how to do that. But.. you're not chained to this town. You could get on a boat and see where it took you. See places you never dreamed of before. If you wanted to, I mean. " He shrugged and held out his hands. "Had I stayed where I was and didn't take a chance.. I don't know if I'd even be alive. So.. my life wasn't the same. And I needed it. But I think it isn't a bad think to be open to just the idea." He smiled slightly at the others. "You already know so much about the ocean. You'd probably be naturals."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Height: 5'8''

"Absolutely not." Benjamin cut in. As Benny spoke he had turned redder and redder. "Please don't put any strange notions into these children's mind, ser. They'd get themselves killed along the way."
The older children shifted uncomfortably, but the eldest girl looked up at Benny.
"Whitby's a safe place, ser, where we know who we are and we have our family to look out for us." she explained. But something uncomfortable had settled on the table between them, a shadow so grim, even the girl's explanation could not quite lift it. And it seemed to hold every member of that family in its silent grip for a while - apart from the youngest, who seemed to feel the tension, but who looked at his siblings fearfully, rather than at his plate.

497 Posts
8 Threads

Benny was grateful for the food, but he wouldn't be pushed down by etiquette. "And that is good you have a safe place you know well. There's nothing with not changing if you're happy and all your needs are met. But.." He eyed the man, almost daring him to argue with him. "If this is such a happy place, why do you act so scared? And why must you be so angry at the very idea of something else?" He gestured to the man and pushed the plate back to show he wouldn't take his kindness any more if he wasn't welcomed. "I am merely offering a second possibility."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

The children looked up at the man, shocked, and then from the man to their father and back. The old man himself frowned at Benny. "'S no need to take offence, son." He looked at the plate and then back at Benny. "'T world's a hard place. I'm only tryin to keep these bayns safe. They are fisherfolk an's all they are an' its no shameful thing. But they musn't think themselves grander and chase after castles in t' air."

497 Posts
8 Threads

Benny rose his brow and shook his head. "Then there is no reason to be angry. I certainly agree that you should stay if you have everything here and you're happy. I certainly never said the sea was easy or you'd find a fortune. But I think its cruel to make them think there is no other possibility. Sometimes people need to go. They are so restless or something about their life bothers them so, to keep them there is pure misery. A couple of years on the sea could remove that and they return happier than a clam."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

There was a silence in the room as those words resounded. Then suddenly the silence was broken by the eldest girl moving back her chair. Yet she remained seated. Much of the colour had gone from her face. The second daughter looked down miserably. Ben himself had turned somewhat pale and his mouth was a thin line. "I must insist we discuss it no further," he said quietly. His eyes did not meet the pirate's.

497 Posts
8 Threads

"Because not talking about it makes the problems go away..." he said simply and went back to eating. He looked at the man with a small frown but then thought better of it.

Flashing a big smile, he waved to the kids. "Relax. Eat. Don't make me be the only one enjoying your hard work."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Everyone turned back to their food. The eldest girl moved her chair back towards the table. She did not eat, however, but stared at her food, and her lip quivering, and her mouth turning into a thin line the next moment. Nobody spoke, so that the sound of their chewing and the use of cutlery on their plates was uncomfortably loud.

497 Posts
8 Threads

Benny ate but started to stare at the girl. He finally gestured to her, speaking in a soft voice. "You're not eating. What's the matter? Don't let me be the cause to make a girl cry." He laughed lightly. "Nothing to be scared of either."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

She was still trying to control herself, and when Benny spoke, she took a deep breath and swallowed. Benjamin looked up at her.
"I'm alright, sir." she said, but her voice was shaky, and her eyes were wet. At last a tear rolled down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away and grasped. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry," she quickly said and she blushed.
"Rose, go outside and clean yourself up." Benjamin said slowly. It was not an order this time. There was kindness in his voice.
The girl moved her chair back once more, even redder now, muttered another apology, got up and rushed out without looking at Benny.