Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Talking it out [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Height: 5'8''

Ben nodded once more staring down at his tea. "Tell me honestly, Elijah. I want the best for Alice. That's all I even wanted. Do you really believe Noah is the better option?"
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

Elijah sighed and rubbed his cheek in thought. "I believe if he could keep his word and try to keep a job and work to be a better man and marry her, yes. On the other hand, perhaps Alice could like Tobias. I guess I've just never liked the idea of making someone marry someone they didn't love or even know. If you really think he was the better option, I wish you could see if there would be a way for you and Alice to visit them regularly or for a few days at a time so they could really meet to see how they do together. I know that might be a crazy idea though. I've never had a relationship or someone close to me in a situation like this so.. I should perhaps hold my tongue on the matter." He really didn't know if Noah could do it, since he seemed still so connected to his family who were not good influences.
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

"If he would keep his word." Ben said grimly. "I value your opinion, Elijah. Ye just angered me on Sunday, 's all. Ye may not be married, but you're a good person and I know you make sound decisions. It's just, Noah..." He shook his head. "Tobias will come down tomorrow to spend some time with Alice, actually. But none of us can deny it would be a marriage of convenience rather than love."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah nodded. "I know and I don't want to cause Alice further unpleasantness  by having her hope for someone who would fail her and delaying her having some stability in this difficult time.

He looked at him. "That's nice. It's not that it has to be love, but if they find that they just do not care for each other it will practically be strangers living together out of necessity. I would like them to at least grow to be somewhat fond of each other even if that sounds like a silly romantic dream. " He sighed and frowned feeling foolish all the more so and all the more happy he never considered marriage. It seemed like it could be such a cold ordeal.
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Ben nodded. "I understand that. I would rather see Alice marry for love too. But she's sensible and kind, and will make the best of the situation, and Tobias is considerate and responsible. Economically it is a very good match, and far above what a fishing girl could dream of, even if she weren't pregnant. At least she would have security in that regard."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah nodded and frowned. "Yes, but it's easy to worry. Especially with her being away from home and in such an emotional condition. I mean, I know it would be her home but it won't feel like it yet. "
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

"No, and it will be hard on her." Ben admitted quietly. "She's never been away from home, and she and Anne are very close. And in so many ways, she is still but a child." He stared down at his forgotten tea without seeing it. "I don't like it at all..." he admitted. "But with time, she will adapt, and once t' bairn is born she will have som't to bestow her affection on. T' bairn will bind them together."
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah frowned as he thought of all the broken families he knew of in Whitby, children didn't bind them together. Though he could also agree they were broken before they started in most cases. He didn't mention that though. "I hope so. But.. if all else fails. She could also return home for visits.. long as she needed to. She'd be a wife then so no one could complain."
Posting Freak

1,086 Post
14 Threads

Ben nodded. "We'd keep an eye out and deal with trouble if we'd encounter it. I still expect less trouble with Tobias than with the Longbottom boy." He finally sipped his half cold tea.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah nodded. "I hope you or Anne visit her often for a while so she feels a little better. Help keep an eye on things and be there for her.." He also was just naturally worried since this guy was nice but he couldn't help remembering men who put on nice faces for others and had secrets. The idea of thinking badly of Tobias just because he was an unknown with a dead wife was cruel though, perhaps he'd been hanging around too many handsome detectives.