Home Rules Plot Member List View Today's Posts
Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [Open] Grounded [Hotels, Pubs, and Accommodations]

497 Posts
8 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

The pub was noisy but not loud. It almost made a hum with the constant low rumble of voices. Perfect for a certain pirate to forget his woes. He wasn't going to be filled with self pity, he just had to be patient? Yes, patient. His mind had spun since he first saw that military vessel pass. Benny was sure it meant nothing, but damn it all. He checked and his captain was gone with the rest of the crew and the ship! He had cursed up a storm that he couldn't wait and send someone for him. He was stuck there until they decided to make their way back, if they did. 

"No, those guys wouldn't abandon me." He gripped the mug of beer and stared into it with a sharp frown as one hand ran through his hair. He slumped forward and took another swig. 

Sure, some of them were just bastards, but his captain was wonderful and cared about him. He'd be back, right? He was no coward, he was just being careful. A sigh escaped his lips as he closed his eyes and let his head droop until his forehead was resting uncomfortably on the top of his cup. The only solace was that he had all of the money for repairs that hadn't been spent yet. It would last a month or two if he was careful, right? Of course, Captain would be pissed. But what else was he to do? He wasn't going to save it and starve waiting. 

"I guess I need to figure out what I'm going to do now until then though.." He said quietly and felt tears well up in his eyes. Hell, he was pathetic if the idea of being alone again did this. He was so pissed off at himself.
Sommelier who Hates Wine

78 Posts
2 Threads

Pronouns: He/Him
Plotter: Here.
Height: 6'0"

He sold wine, but he bought beer. Beer itself was a sort of currency in the British Empire: help someone forget their woes, and they might let him stay on the floor, or the stables. He usually had the money for a room these days, thank goodness, but he was always two stumbled steps away from depending on the kindness of strangers - if only for a time.

Speaking of strangers, the fellow next to him looked about ready to flood the place. Ropati flagged the bartender for another beer, despite his own being barely touched.

"This the first time that's happened?" he asked conversationally, posture somewhat stiffly formal for the environment.

497 Posts
8 Threads

Realizing someone was noticing his current state, he sat up straight and wiped roughly at his face to clear the tears and try to wipe away the pinkness in his cheeks from the crying.

"No.. I .. We've always been thick. I trusted them since they took me in when I got on board long ago. Good mates, but now... I'm afraid I won't see them again, so I'm not sure what I should do, or how long I should wait. It's never been an issue before." 

They sometimes had a plan for when they might have to leave but it seemed so safe this time, he didn't have one. So it was just to sit and wait...

"Ah.. I'm.. Benny.." He wiped his teary and perhaps a little snotty hand on the bottom of his shirt before reaching over to shake.
Sommelier who Hates Wine

78 Posts
2 Threads

Conveniently, Ropati investigated the bubbles of his beer as the fellow next to him tried to save face. Yep. Sure a lot of bubbles around the rim. Who would have thunk?

"Pat." He shook his hand without so much as a cringe. "How long do you think before they're back?"

He angled awkwardly to pick up the glass with his clean left hand, taking a quick but careful swig of it.

497 Posts
8 Threads

"Nice to meet you." He managed. The possibly-ex-pirate didn't notice the way the man avoided his sullied hand as he'd returned to staring into his drink.

"I don't know. I hope soon, but.. I'm not exactly essential. " They'd want the possible treasure but if the captain hears of a bigger or easier score, who knows? "I hope.. they get to another town soon and send me a letter but.. I don't know if or when that could happen. "
Sommelier who Hates Wine

78 Posts
2 Threads

"So they have a way to write you, if they wish."

The bartender made her way over with another mug of beer, and Ropati nodded the young man's way rather than taking it himself.

"What do you do for a living?"

497 Posts
8 Threads

"I think so. Sure if they just sent it to the post office w irh my name and ..if I checked for a letter every day.." He slumped in his seat and glanced up at the beer. "Thanks.."

Since he didn't need to nurse his drink, he downed the remains and grabbed the next one. "I.. worked on a ship. I could do some other stuff like helped with town stuff. Getting people to fix the boat or sell and buy stuff..  What about you?" He didn't look at him, he was sure his face was still pathetically miserable with no signs of changing.
Sommelier who Hates Wine

78 Posts
2 Threads

He glanced at him from the corner of his eye now and then, because who actually enjoys getting caught ugly-crying?

"I sell wine," he said, taking a sip of his beer, "to people who hang themselves if it's not the right vintage. It's honest work."

Well, sometimes.

497 Posts
8 Threads

"So the rich and snobby type?" He spoke as if he knew the type personally. Images of a nice home, an uninterested man with a cruel wife and terrifying son. He shook his head, slowly calming down. 

"Least it's honest. And sounds like you make half decent money, yeah?" He couldn't imagine the guy not making money if he was selling wine. He didn't even think hard on the honest part. Pirates were better jobs than some.
Sommelier who Hates Wine

78 Posts
2 Threads

Yes. Yes yes fucking fuckall yes.

"I suppose that is one way it could be viewed," he said neutrally instead. "I worked in a ship once. Strong stomach, that work."

At the mention of money, Ropati took a longer drag of beer.

"It is better than some work."

Much as he hated being by the sea, his life always brought him back to it.