Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] [CW] Safe and Sound [Streets, Yards, and Homes]
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Pronouns: He Him
Height: 5'10"

[Content warning: This thread contains reference to teenage pregnancy and child abuse]

Elijah tried to keep the mood light, he didn't want the boys to dwell on their father's illness. Unfortunately, his childhood wasn't spent playing with other children much so he couldn't think of what to do. He decided a game of I Spy was the best option. He was terrible at guessing though. 

"Ah, but here we are. I spy my house." He chuckled at his bad joke and let them in. The house never felt smaller than when he had any company. Diane was there to see them and mewed in annoyance as she was hungry. "You kids just find a place to sit. I'll get dinner started and a fire." It was too cold to expect them to handle the house without one. 

"You need anything else?" He asked them completely uncertain.

391 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: He/His

Will rolled his eyes when Elijah proposed the game. He was a big boy after all. Or a 'man' as he called it. But Bram eagerly joined in.

Unfortunately for Elijah spelling had never been Bram's strongest point, and Bram had the constable guessing quite a while for something that started with 'a' - 'a' for 'ouse', Bram's version of 'house'.

"Not yours! It was another 'ouse, but we passed it already!" the boy exclaimed, when Elijah 'spied' his house.

Will stopped for a second and cast his eyes up to heaven.

When the boys had entered, Bram instantly ran to the sofa and sat down. Will, however, sat down in front of the fire place. "We're fine. I'll get the fire going. Bram will help you prepare dinner," he said.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah laughed softly. "I suppose that means you won. Great game." He patted Bram's head before they went inside.

As he started some water and started to chop vegetables he craned his head to look into the other room. "If you wish to help me, you can work together to make sure the fire is going. And make sure Diane has water. She sometimes knocks over her water. You are like guests so I do not wish to make you feel like you need to help me with everything. I am alright." He gave him a small smile and started to warm up a pot with water.

391 Posts
5 Threads

Will nodded. "Bram, go get some water," he ordered his younger brother.
"You ain't the boss of me." Bram folded his arms.
"I am now! Tell him, Elijah!"
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

Elijah sighed quietly to himself and glanced towards the other room. "Will isn't the boss, but please help Bram. Just to be nice and helpful?" He asked softly and put the chopped vegetables in the pot and searched to see if he had any meat left and was relieved to see he had some salted pork that would be great for their stew.

"I hope you guys are hungry. I think you'll enjoy what I have in store for you." He smiled to himself hoping they liked it.

391 Posts
5 Threads

"Alright," Bram said instantly when Elijah asked and he went outside to fetch water - but not before sticking his tongue out to his older brother. Will rolled his eyes.
"I'm sure it will be good." He said. "Do you always cook for yerself?"
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

"Thank you." Elijah felt more confident as he cooked.

"Of course. I've never had a maid or a wife, so I have had to learn and do it on my own. On occasion, someone has fed me out of the kindness of their hearts, but I've never had to depend on it. I'm happy to cook for myself. Do you know how to cook, Will?" He glanced up though he couldn't see him from his position. He walked into the room after washing his hands and placed the lid on the pot.

391 Posts
5 Threads

"A few things." Will said. "I'll get a wife when I grow up."
Bram came back in carrying a bucket of water.
Constable

3,154 Posts
26 Threads

"That's good to hear. I'm sure you'll be a good husband and father." Elijah smiled and offered to help with the water. "Make sure you both clean up before dinner is ready. "He glanced to see how the fire was going, he had reservations about the quality of wood he had after the last rain storm.

391 Posts
5 Threads

Both the boys walked over to the wash stand and cleaned their faces and hands.
"Anything else I can help with?" Will asked.
"You could be quiet." Bram muttered.
"What's wrong with you?"