Hello, guest!
or Register?

[Complete] Heading Home [The British Isles]

169 Posts
5 Threads

Pronouns: Him/He
Plotter: https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com...hp?tid=372
Height: 6'8"

Lorn paid for both of them's food handing the lady with the basket a few coins.  He ate his own sandwich and the egg in a slow manner.  He spent most meals at home with Heidi and that was more him focusing on her not wearing her food or the floor getting a good portion of it.  These trips without her were hard for him, but eating without that distraction was a positive.

The rest of the trip was mainly quiet and even he took a light nap of his own, though he kept an eye on the little ones most of the time.  He had that father's light sleeping thing going and would turn his attention to the baskets when they made sounds or seemed to be unhappy in some way that he could hear.

Closer to Whitby, Lorn looked to Karen.  "Mrs. Calloway, what are your plans once we get to Whitby?  I know you are wanting to come rent one of the cottages, but surely you won't be able to pack and move everything from your home alone with the babies.  I can send some of the maids to help you pack and some grooms to load things with a wagon if you'd like.  Just need to let me know when, or if you would want the help that is."

536 Posts
15 Threads

Pronouns: She, Her
Height: Average

She was begining to wonder if the move was a smart idea at all, but remembered the gossip she stirred up with her behavior and said, "I suppose I have no choice but ta ask for help." She gave a small smile that actually reached her eyes. "Things will be difficult with or without, that is the truth of it. But I think I need this move." To have maids coming to her house, well, that would be something, wouldn't it? She regarded him with a long gaze after that. One could tell she was in thought because there was a slight gleam in her eye.

"But I won't be imposin' on yer hospitality, see. I'll be payin' me rent and I'll be earnin' me keep and that is that." She was a proud young woman, she didn't want to just sit on her duff and do nothing. "I don't suppose ye need a nurse or a laundress?" she then asked. She knew that there would be a chance that nobody would want to associate with her, so she wasn't holding onto hope that she would have steady work flowing in.

"Whatever it takes... And I'll pay ye for the sandwiches too." She sounded a little winded by that point, and the fever was back in her eyes. She was worried, that was for sure.

169 Posts
5 Threads

Lorn leaned up and gave her a look.  A serious and intent one.  He meant what he was saying.  "First of all, you always have a choice."

He continued.  "I have friends in London, Heidi has grandparents there and I made various friends when my late wife and I lived there.  So, if you want to go there, or near there, I can make some contacts and help you arrange a place and a job there, even help with the babies." 

He looked down at his hands between his knees before him with his fingers laced together, his face showing a man that understood what it was like to make serious mistakes with heavy consequences.  "I've been in rough spots myself, due to some not so wise choices I made."  He looked up to her.  "If not for generous people giving me a second...no make that a third chance thanks to another special person... I would not be where I am now.  I want to make sure you get that chance too."  He explained.  "Pay it forward, I heard someone say once."  He gave a small smile.

At her words about rent, he nodded.  "I expect you to rent for the cottage.  A fair one though.  I charge 2.50 pounds for the monthly rent of the smaller cottages and 3.00 pounds a month for the bigger cottages.  Does that seem fair to you?"  He asked, not being sure if that were about average for the area or not.

At her question about the laundry, he laid back against his bench again and thought about it.  The maids did have a lot to do around the house and taking the laundry out of that list would be helpful, he thought.  "I currently have the nanny, three maids, the Housekeeper, the cook, and the cook's assistant working for me in the house.  The house is large though and a lot of chores for them to do."  He said still reasoning through the thought.

"I could give them a bit more personal time if they didn't have to do the laundry along with all the cleaning.  What would you say about 1.25 pounds a day for doing the household laundry, and if any of the others on the property want to hire you for their laundry as well, that will be between you and them?"  He suggested raising a brow.

536 Posts
15 Threads

That was more than generous of him, she thought as he talked about London. No, she would not go back to London, it was no place for her. She neither nodded, nor shook her head, but listened to what he had to say first. Then she replied, “I thank ye fer that offer but I’d prefer to stay in Whitby, iffin ye pleased.” She smiled then, a tired one, but a genuine one nevertheless.

When it came to the rent and wages, her eyes widened a little at the pay he was offering. That was more than generous of him. “I… aye. I’ll be taking a larger cottage and I’ll do yer laundry and that of whoever else wishes.” That was a very generous offer. It wasn’t as if she needed the work yet, she was still comfortably padded from selling her house back where her husband had died on top of his savings and such. She wasn’t wealthy by any means, but it was something.

She was feeling overwhelmed by that point.

169 Posts
5 Threads

At her decision about staying in Whitby, he smiled.  "Then you have a plan.  Your life is yours to lead whatever way you wish.  If at any time you want to change that direction, just let me know how I can help.  Okay?"  He had not been there for Heidi's birth mother, but he would do what he could for this woman in a hard situation however he could.

"There we go then.  Once we get to Whitby, I'll send some help to get your house packed up and someone with a wagon to carry it all to the larger cottage just beyond the main house and large stable.  That way you will be closest to the main house when you need to go to and fro."  He reasoned.

"I'll have the maids clean it up while you are packing up your current place.   It may need some painting.  You pick the color on that such of thing.  I don't care as long as you keep it up.  If anything is broken or leaking, let me know, and I'll get that taken care of."  He assured her.  He wouldn't expect her to deal with carpentry or such things.

He thought a moment.  "I think they do the sheets and linens about every two weeks.  Though it seems they are always doing some kind of laundry.  I know Heidi seems to always have her clothing changed every hour or so."  He laughed.  "She is always into something.  I am less messy unless she gets something on my clothing."  He grinned.  "So, you will have plenty to do."  He assured her. 

He knew the wages were more than some offered, but he was willing to pay for quality employees.  He was tough in his hiring process for the rest of the staff, but it had proven worth it to pay them well for the care they take with his property and his daughter.

"I haven't even asked if you like horses.  I hope so, as I have quite a few and they are moved around from section to section as they are trained and getting exercise."

536 Posts
15 Threads

“Alright,” she said quietly, not smiling because she was still worn out. She could do with a good night’s sleep, she thought as she curled her toes to stretch her cramped feet. “I doubt I’ll change me mind though,” she said with a tilt of her head. Her eyes, weary as they were, peered at him thoughtfully.

When he said he would have his staff collect her things for her, she was about to protest but decided against it. Was she doing the right thing? She hoped so. She was tired of traveling in general and needed a place to call home that wasn’t marred by bad memories like that cheerful, yellow house of hers. Yes, it was better to get out before something else bad happened.

“That would be lovely, thank ye,” she said eventually in reply to him. Her toes curled again, she bit her lip in discomfort. Perhaps she would have to get up and stretch too, but was she ready to fully trust someone with her infants without her presence there? Probably not just yet, especially after Fred, and she hadn’t let him be alone much with the babies either.

“Twill give me somethin’ ta do,” she said quietly. “I’ll not lie and say it’s me dream to do laundry, but it’s honest work.” She wanted to nurse again, she thought, even though that would be a harder thing to accomplish when one had two little ones to tend to. She reluctantly admitted to herself that she would have to trust strangers with Niamh and Harold if she were to work again.

When horses were brought up, she perked a little. “I love horses,” she said.

169 Posts
5 Threads

Being a man that had trouble being still, he got that.  He would have worked himself to death after he lost Cressida, but thanks to Heidi, he had found a balance between work and time for himself.  He spent time with the child every chance he could now.  Sure, there was the nanny, but he kept a fairly set up schedule with the grooms where he worked with them.  Then he would either go get Heidi and bring her to "help" him at the stable or he would go spend time with her at the main house. 

He spent a lot of time working on the ledger, reading the mail, or writing letters in response to the mail in his office but Heidi would often be there playing on the floor with the nanny or falling asleep in his arms as he worked with the free hand.  He knew people in these fancy houses in England left the kids to the nannies and governesses, but that wasn't how he was raised, and wasn't how he was going to raise his daughter.  She was very important to him, and he wanted her to know what it was to work and take care of the horses.

He smiled when Karen mentioned liking horses.  "I have about 100 horses.  The property is mainly land."  He explained as he kept it about 1.5 acres per horse.  Besides the property around the main house, the main stable, and the cottages behind the main stable, he had 200 acres.  "I buy and sell them.  Mainly for showing horses but I have started breeding for racing as well."  He explained.  "The fancier breeders I keep up in the front acres around the house.  Well, those and my personal horses.  Duke is my best friend."  He grinned.  "I brought him over from Texas.  He's got some children of his own now that we keep for personal usage."

536 Posts
15 Threads

“That is a lot of horseflesh,” she said with surprise. Indeed, she had never seen that many horses in one place. It would do her some good to see them. She hadn’t ridden in some time though, so she would have to do it from a distance, she thought as she could feel the train shift and heard the squeal of the wheels locking as the train braked. They had reached their destination.

The babies both woke up and started to cry at the sound, and she lay a calming hand on each little belly and hushed them softly. “Shhhh, it’s alright babies. We’re home.” Home. For better or for worse, Whitby was home. She would have to lift her chin and be as dignified as she possibly could when she left her pretty yellow house.

When the train finally came to a stop, the babies were both soothed and calm. She sighed wearily, ready for sleep in her own bed.

169 Posts
5 Threads

He nodded.  "I've been at it about a year here in England.  I had planned to just own a stable in London when I got married and adopted Heidi.  I had a partner then and we arranged carriages and the like."  It had been going well, and still was, but he had sold out his portion when he lost Cressida.

His eyes dimmed thinking of his own loss.  "When my wife passed away, I had to get out of there.  So, I sold my share of the stable, and with that and with some of my father's horsed sent over from Texas, I bought the place we live now and went to work making a new life."  He explained, partially letting her know that people started over all the time for various reasons.

Lorn looked out the window and saw as they arrived at the station.  Hearing the babies, he looked over and smiled.  "I imagine you and they are ready to settle.  Tell me where to send the maids and the wagon, what day, and what time and I have it set up for you."  He was ready to be home himself.  He missed his own little girl.  He gave her the directions to get to his own property and where the cottages were so she could look over each of them to be sure which one she wanted to rent.

Picking up his hat, he made sure she and the babies were off the train safely.  Standing outside, he smiled at her and put his hat back on.  "Well, I look forward to seeing you again, Mrs. Calloway."  He tipped the front of his hat.