By Wit & Whitby
[Complete] What's love got to do with it? [Pavilion and Fairground] - Printable Version

+- By Wit & Whitby (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com)
+-- Forum: In Character (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: Completed threads (https://bywitandwhitby.rpginitiative.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Complete] What's love got to do with it? [Pavilion and Fairground] (/showthread.php?tid=382)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: What's love got to do with it? - Andrew Willaby - 12-22-2020

He climbed out after her and hitched the horse to the post, then moved to her and threaded his arm through hers. He led her into the shop and to a table, then pulled out a chair for her to sit and waited politely for her to do so before taking his own seat. Food was soon ordered on his dime, and he even ordered an ale for him and whatever she wanted to drink, not knowing if she would like the ale in question.

When they were alone again, he pulled out a box and presented it to her. It was a small, velvet box. "I though ye might wish ta see yer wedding ring." If she opened up the box, she would see there were two rings inside, one was a plain gold band and the other was one with a small diamond, but a diamond nevertheless. "It ain't much, I ain't quite rich yet. But it's yers."

RE: What's love got to do with it? - Rose Willaby - 12-24-2020

Rose was surprised that they were eating in, but she didn't protest. Andrew was being so perfectly chivalrous and the formality added to the experience. She ordered tea with her fish and chips. Here she was, visiting a real restaurant (alright, it was a chippy, but she liked to think of it as a restaurant) with her handsome and gallant future husband. She beamed at him, certain that she could not be happier.

But she was wrong. She gasped at the mere sight of the velvet box. In her community, wedding rings were simple and did not come in fancy boxes. Weddings were expensive enough and times were hard. She took it very slowly and carefully, afraid that her touch would somehow soil or damage the pretty little box. When she opened it, she gasped again, and her eyes darted up at Andrew. She shook her head when he spoke, her lips pressed tightly together, and then she looked down at the rings again. "No... Andrew," she said in a quiet voice, quite overcome, "this must have cost you a fortune. I never expected..." She was blushing and couldn't stop staring at the ring with the little diamond.

RE: What's love got to do with it? - Andrew Willaby - 12-29-2020

"Do ye like it?" he asked. "It doesn't matter how much it costs, I want ye to have it." He reached over and touched her hand. It might have been just a chip but it did cost him a good chunk of his carefully saved money. "I can't promise ye all the riches in the world, but this little rock represents the richness I want to give ye in laughter, in joy and rich life in general. I want ye to be happy."

RE: What's love got to do with it? - Rose Willaby - 12-29-2020

Rose still didn't know what to say. She looked from Andrew to the ring and back up. She reached out and touched his hand briefly, holding the box carefully in the other, before holding the box in both hands again, as if she was afraid that something might happen to it if she didn't hold it well enough.

"I don't know what to say..." she barely more than whispered. She wasn't used to being shown, and even less hearing in words, such affection and care. She looked back at the ring to avoid meeting his eye, for she was overwhelmed "Do I like it? It's the most precious thing I've ever held..."

Then a disturbing thought crossed her mind and she looked up. "Ye know I don't marry ye for yer money, right?" Although she would probably not have said yes if he was destitute. It was still a sensible match. "I grew up with nowt, and we've always been thankful when we had food to fill our bellies and a fire in the fireplace. I've never dreamed to ask for more than a husband that would work hard and stay off the drink. I know ye will be more than I could ask for, and I can only pray I can make the home ye deserve..."

"I know ye ain't weddin' me fer me money, lass." He cracked a grin at her. "It ain't 'bout the money with us." At least he was optimistic about it anyway. "I just wanted ta buy this because it meant something." Even if he hadn't quite been sincere at first, not that he would admit to that. He was starting to sway her way in any case, for her laughter had warmed his heart. Maybe the problem wasn't about love, maybe it was that they needed to get to know each other more. But he still planned to go through with the wedding anyway.

She blushed and smiled back at him shyly. "It's the sweetest thing," she told him. Then she closed the box and handed it back to him. "You keep 'em safe. I hardly dare handle 'em, so precious and costly." She also wondered how she was going to carry such a fine ring on her working hands without the fear of damaging it, but she did not say that. "You're too kind, Andrew."

He pocketed the box, then reached a hand across the table again and rested it on hers. "I am having such fun today, lass," he said as he brushed his thumb lightly over her knuckles. "Seems a shame I have ta take ye home after we eat... but t'won't be long afore we're wed. Do ye want ta see where ye'll be living? Ye're more than welcome ta bring yer da. It could use a woman's touch."

Rose's blush deepened when he put his hand on hers. She still couldn't believe that he actually wanted to marry her. And not just that, he wanted to be good to her, more than good, generous and kind. She felt a pang of guilt as she remembered what she was still holding back. In the beginning had told herself that she would tell him soon, but even then, she had dreaded to think that he might break off the engagement. Now that their wedding was approaching and he had been so kind and generous, and she was all invested in this new, beautiful future, how could she risk it all? It wasn't right. It didn't feel good. But she would have to live with the guilt.

He smile faltered momentarily, but then it returned. "Aye, I'd love that. I have some time. We still need to talk about t' wedding. Chapel an minister's arranged, but we still need to talk about after chapel."

He was blissfully unaware of what she wasn't going to say, or he might already know since her father filled her in on one thing already. He continued to stroke her knuckles and then tilted his head when her smile seemed to falter. Was she alright? But then she replied to him about seeing his house and he nodded, "I will take ye after we eat." He had just bought the little yellow house that Karen Calloway had vacated, poor lass.

Rose nodded and began to eat, her food having cooled off because of the distraction. She didn't mind it. It was still wonderfully savory and filling. "So my neighbours and some of my aunts have agreed to cook while we're at chapel," she began. "If the weather's good, we could set up tables outside, but if not, we'll need an indoor space. Do you know how many guests ye'll have from your side?"